Tuesday, March 8, 2011

6 Ways to Deal with Shock

Long distance travel by flight is a relatively recent phenomenon. Certainly the human being never evolved to deal with the changes that happen when he or she magically spans three continents within a week. All sorts of shock can happen in such a week, so I’ve prepared this guide for you.

1. Take cover
As work in China came to a standstill days before Chinese New Year, a friend invited me to spend a few days in his home village where we slaughtered a pig, went to market, and played chess. I then left my established life in Kunming, said many goodbyes, and a quick flight to Beijing put me in another world; one quieter and palpably more refined. For two days, round-the-clock fireworks over the deserted ghost-capital of China gave the constant sense of being in a war zone. To avoid shell shock, I took cover with only a couple close friends, and nobody noticed as we ate, drank, and made merry. Sometimes it’s best to just lay low.


2. Enjoy it
Flying AA back to the US with the aid of my dad’s kazillion miles meant first class for twelve hours - quite a change from poverty stricken villages. This served as a re-introduction to what I knew so well as a consultant – fake hospitality based on perceived status. It’d be easy to make snarky comments and rail on western society and big companies about this, but boy did I enjoy those warm cashews.

3. Move on
The first and last time
I arrived to find Dallas melting, and the first shock upon seeing my parents was theirs, not mine. Having been working with guys with facial hair, I had decided to try on my first semi-full mustache and goatee (which Ruth would surely ask me to shave). My mom was horrified as she claimed me, reluctantly, at DFW Airport. Back home, my intention was to follow Rule #1: Take Cover, but I couldn’t resist leaking news of my presence to a few unsuspecting friends. I had only been out of the country half a year, but found the reverse-culture-shock experience to be much stranger than expected. Since it is terribly annoying when people commit these 5 Things Not To Do After Returning From Abroad, I tried hard to avoid them. It took effort to join and carry conversations naturally, having so much to say and nothing to say at the same time. Though I love my friends and family dearly, it was not time to be home. After a quick weekend pit-stop, it was time to get a move on.

4. Relax a little
A few hops and I was south of the Equator to meet Ruth who had just completed medical Spanish language classes in Quito, Ecuador. This is where my biggest shock(s) would come. First of all, you can imagine how uncomfortable it is to speak like a baby in one language, while you’ve just begun to dream in another. Then there’s the altitude, turning a fit twenty-five year old into a gasping old fogey. Also, going solo for so long makes the traveler unaccustomed to having a partner, and the hundreds of little compromises required for making decisions each day. Accidently leaving my heart and mind in China did not help matters. After relaxing and taking some time to accept the change, the weeks spent with Ruth were wonderful.
Volcan Chico, Galapagos Islands
5. Be amazed
We traveled to Jurassic Park the Galapagos Islands for ten days, and found penguins living at the Equator. We found shock at the lack of shock exhibited by the animals when approached. I’m talking No Fear, like the t-shirts. We swam, again and again, within hand’s reach of sea lions, sea turtles, stingrays, and giant iguanas. Even the birds land awfully close. It was like nothing I’ve ever experienced. As you must have learned in biology class, these species evolved to fit their isolated niche environment, and had few natural predators. They are also very well protected by Ecuador – introduced predators have been eliminated, and the number of human visitors is controlled. Trained guides are required everywhere to uphold respect for the environment and its creatures. If people understood these concepts everywhere; I wonder if this shocking exception would be closer to the norm. Can you imagine a world full of animals without a learned fear of people?

6. Don’t deal with it
Letting your senses explore the unfamiliar is one of the best parts about traveling. Initial shock is what tells us something is beautiful, like when a pretty girl passes by, or when glorious music first hits the eardrums. Shock can be fun. One that’s really fun is the feeling you get when you catch your own reflection after a long time without mirrors. If I could, I’d save it up for a year and really freak myself out.

3 comments:

  1. I think you should let the mustache grow until it looks like the guy in the 5 things not to do after returning from abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Can you imagine a world full of animals without a learned fear of people?"
    I can't get over how awesome that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she likes this

    ReplyDelete